Over the years, for one or another reason, I've collected a lot of names. The problem with them is that none of them are me. Or rather, they're only part of me. In an effort to consolidate and reclaim the army of me out there, I'm going by my given name these days. Alisa Michelle Schreibman. Allie, for short.
Along with my name, I'm trying to recover my history, my Jewishness, and my voice. That's a messy, painful process that I've been calling Pollocking--the identity equivalent of getting up into it and letting instinct guide me while I throw paint around.
Right now, I know a few things that I can share with you:
- My favorite colors are orange, teal, and silver.
- I don't want to live without: eggs, cream cheese, bagels, coffee, ibuprofen, curry and the occasional chocolate cake.
- Three books I love (but may or may not be my favorites on any given day): Dante's Divine Comedy, John Berger's Ways of Seeing, and Michael Chabon's Gentleman of the Road.
- I unironically and unashamedly love: Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Pacific Rim, and Lilo and Stitch.
- You can't convince me to like: mushrooms, olives, Donald Trump, Sarah Palin, anything written by Cassandra Clare.
- In the next five years, I hope to travel to Granada, Istanbul, Jerusalem, and Prague. I also hope to reduce my BP, BMI, debt load and stress.
- I write.
This site is unrepentantly me, a place where I don't have to watch my tongue or hide my light, and I certainly don't have to apologize for my opinions. Right now, most of the content is on my social media because I'm throwing a lot of words around to see what sticks.
This is not the Allie you're looking for?
If you're looking for the author formerly known as Allie Berg, you've found her. In the interests of not devoting an entire website to a single book that may or may not ever have companions, I've converted this to a personal site which contains a section devoted to my fiction, whatever name it's published under.
For fiction written by Allie Berg, look here.
For my blog, which will contain any news about new fiction, look here.